Friday, April 25, 2014

Vienna and Venice

On April 10th, we all loaded onto a bus and headed to Vienna, Austria for our second field trip. We all had to pack about 2 weeks worth of clothes into our book bags because after we spent two days in Vienna, we were headed to Venice for a couple of days and then had ten days to spend on Spring Break however we chose. When we first got to Vienna, it immediately started down pouring and hailing. We walked quite a few blocks, and by the time we got to our destination we were all completely soaked from head to toe. It’s a good thing I never take the time to fix my hair since I’ve been over here!  I loved the rain, and my friend Jess and I had a good laugh attempting to run on the muddy cobblestone while keeping up with our group sprinting ahead. We had to change our plans due to the weather, and our leader Jan (pronounced Yon) took us to the Imperial Treasury. This treasury contains incredible riches from the Habsburg Empire from the past one thousand years. In the multiple rooms, we got to see amazing artifacts such as the Scepter of Austria and the Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire. We saw robes from past rulers and incredible medieval jewelry.  There were rooms and rooms full of beautiful relics, and it is unfathomable what the worth of just one of those rooms is. I learned a lot about the Habsburg family just from listening to our leader Jan, who seems to have an endless amount of knowledge on every single subject.
After our visit to the treasury, we headed to a restaurant where I ordered traditional Austrian goulash. Similar to the Czech, Austria’s definition of goulash is much different than ours. This dish contained amazingly tender roast beef with a fried egg on top, along with potato dumplings and two sweet pickles all covered in dark gravy. It was so good, but the portion was a little too small for me. Ever since I have left the United States, I swear my appetite has tripled. What once could have sufficed as a small meal in America is now a second mid-morning snack to me. I’m definitely following my Grandpa Cook’s orders and gaining weight! In Vienna I also had my first bite of a cookie in the past month. It was the first chocolate chip cookie I’ve even seen since being in Europe, and my roommate Molly was generous enough to share hers. It’s funny to see what foods you miss when they’re no longer easily available to you. I could write an entire blog post on the food I miss from America.
After lunch, we headed to the St. Stephen’s cathedral. This gigantic cathedral has a beautiful multi-colored mosaic roof and an incredible baroque-style interior. We didn’t spend a whole lot of time in the church, and I wish I’d done some research beforehand so I could have appreciated it more. After we visited the church, we were allowed to do whatever we wanted so we split up into groups and walked around Vienna a little more. To be honest, I wasn’t incredibly impressed with Vienna the first day. It was dirty and cold and didn’t seem to have as much beautiful architecture as what we were used to in Prague. I was definitely ready for day two in Vienna, hoping to get to see more of what the city has to offer.

St. Stephen's Cathedral

The next day, the entire group walked to the main square and had a choice between four different museums. I chose to go to the Kunsthistorisches museum or the Museum of Fine Arts. This gigantic building made it feel like you were walking through a time machine. It started with Egyptian art, clothing, and tombs (I saw a mummified cat!), and then went through Greek historical items, and then onto Roman artifacts. This museum also had items from the Habsburg Empire, and it just further demonstrated the unfathomable wealth of the Habsburg family.  In the upper part of the museum was a beautiful gallery displaying several centuries of different styles of famous art. It was also really neat because scattered throughout this part of the museum were art students that were recreating some of the famous works. Their talent was amazing, and I took the time to sit and watch some of them work for a while. The museum had so much to see, and it was all so detailed and beautiful. Even the ceilings were incredible, and I think that the rooms could’ve been completely empty and just had the ceilings to display and I still would’ve been amazed by this museum. The entire experience was overall very overwhelming because of the insane amount of visual stimuli and small details. I wish I would’ve had an audio guide to get more information out of it, but I truly enjoyed the experience.

Admiring the ginormous art in the Kunsthistorisches museum


After the museum, the group caught some sun by lying in the front lawn of the museum. It was a beautiful day and it’s the little things like that that make me so happy that I chose to study abroad. I’ve never been happier. Jan then lead the group to a really adorable open-air food market that had everything from dried fruit to fresh octopus. It was here that I tried my first authentic Austrian wiener schnitzel and I paid way too much for it. All along I thought that a wiener schnitzel was a fancy hot dog or sausage, but it’s actually pretty much just an overrated breaded beef patty. Although I wasn’t incredibly impressed, I can now say I’ve had the real thing! After that, my friend Jess and I got the best dessert I’ve had since coming to Europe. It was a flaky pastry filled with vanilla pudding and five or six different kinds of fresh fruit on top. Amazing. I really could write an entire blog post on food. Food is what I’ve spent a large portion of my money on here rather than mementos like I should be. Guess I’ll have a nice round face and a couple extra pounds as a souvenir instead!

First authentic (overpriced and overrated) Austrian wiener schnitzel


The group then headed to the palace of the past Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary, Elizabeth (or Sisi) of Austria. This was where I probably learned the most throughout this entire fieldtrip. We each received an audio guide, which allowed us to take our time throughout the exhibits and learn facts about the empress that was assassinated by a needle file. Elizabeth had a very interesting story, and experienced a difficult life. Apparently because of her shyness and withdrawal from the public eye, she wasn’t extremely popular while she was alive. Elizabeth then became a symbol of beauty and grace after she was killed, and was portrayed in a much different light that didn’t realistically match to who she actually was. She became an icon represented in literature and the arts, and even has a large number of chapels named after her. We went through the palace that had rooms marked off where you could see how their home was once decorated. They had extremely beautiful furniture and stunning paintings, and I truly enjoyed this part of the field trip.
After that, we broke off into smaller groups again and were allowed to do what we wanted. We spent some time in a beautiful park, and then headed to a market that was full of handmade jewelry, food stands, and Easter goods. At this market I got my Austrian children’s book from a very nice older woman that didn’t speak a word of English. A kind Austrian couple translated for me, and I bought my favorite book so far. We ended the day by just hanging out in our hostel, and I was the most exhausted at the end of this day that I have been since coming to Europe.

Venice

The next morning we got up early to head to Venice, Italy. Our drive was about six hours and I spent a large portion of it sleeping on the floor of the bus. That is, until I woke up at one point and saw a huge cluster of ants right in front of my face and found some crawling up my sleeves. Yikes. Other than that, the bus ride was great because of the beautiful view. We got to drive through the Alps, and I loved seeing the little villages throughout the mountains and on the riverbanks. We also drove through a lot of tunnels through the mountains, and I thought that was pretty cool.
When we first got to Venice, we didn’t get the best first impression of Italy. Jan got yelled at by an Italian cop for parking in the wrong place to unload our bags, and with the time it took the policeman to go out of his way to be rude to Jan, we could’ve unloaded the bus and been on our way without any trouble. It was pretty entertaining to watch and Jan handled it very well. We then dropped our bags off at our hostel and Jan took us through a Jewish ghetto. It didn’t quite have the same effect on me as the one in Prague did, but it was still very interesting. We then wandered some more through Venice and found out how incredibly easy it was to get completely lost. There are no cars in Venice so everything is just footpaths. I’m so glad some people in our group are good at navigating because coming abroad has further confirmed my belief that I was born without a trace of an internal compass. I’ve definitely been struggling and it gets pretty embarrassing. 


My favorite picture of my favorite city


We then broke off into small groups and found an amazing pasta place. It was homemade and owned by an Italian family. Best pasta of my entire life. And of course, being in Italy, we followed it up with a huge cone of Italian gelato. Probably couldn’t have been happier. We then continued to get lost and pretty much just spent the rest of our day wandering and getting more and more lost. Venice was by far the best place to be lost in though because it was so beautiful and I got to see some really awesome things. It has been my favorite city I’ve ever been to, so far. I love the water and the colorful houses. I took a lot of pictures, but obviously none of them can quite beat seeing it in person. Later that night we ordered Italian pizza and got yelled at by the owner of the hostel and got threatened to get kicked out the next morning. That ended the day on an interesting note!
The next day we gathered as a group again and went through Doge’s Palace. This Venetian gothic-style palace was absolutely beautiful on the inside. The ceilings were covered in ornate golden decor framing beautiful paintings of past rulers, people of historical importance, and famous Biblical and Greek mythology characters. We went through institutional and governmental chambers that served the Venetian government for centuries. These rooms also contained medieval weapons and famous Biblical relics including the Holy Lance or Spear of Destiny that is believed to be the spear used to pierce Jesus’ side when he was on the cross. (It’s been proved that it’s not the actual spear, but still very cool.) 

Doge's Palace

After that, we got a lunch break and ordered gigantic pieces of deep dish Italian pizza. It was really good, but I have to admit it didn’t stand a chance up against my mom’s homemade hamburger pizza. Then, of course, we had to get another round of Italian gelato and tiramisu. We then got very lost again, and finally found our way back just in time to meet back up with the group to go through the St. Mark’s Basilica. This was such a cool experience because it was Palm Sunday and I got to spend it in a very famous European church. Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to take any pictures, but we each received a blessed palm. We went through the church pretty quickly because there were so many people trying to go through it, and then broke off into smaller groups again. A group of twelve of us then decided that it wouldn’t be a legitimate trip to Venice without an authentic gondola ride! We split into groups of six and it was such a cool experience. Our gondolier was so fun and sang us his favorite songs in Italian. It was great being able to see the stunning city of Venice from the perspective of the water.

First gondola ride


I wish I was better at explaining in words just how happy I have been since coming here. It’s really incredible how little things like just wandering around and noticing the little things can make me so grateful for the life I’m living. There have been so many times throughout each day that I’ve been here where I catch myself smiling for no reason. Doing what you’ve always dreamed of doing is the best feeling I’ve ever experienced. Haven’t even left Europe yet and I already can’t wait to come back.

            A blog post will be up soon about my crazy experience for spring break, but for right now I’m headed to park on this beautiful day. Thanks so much for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment